Monday, January 17, 2011

The Power of a President's Words.

For as far  back as I can remember the Presidents of the United States of America have always stepped forward during times of great peril and addressed not only the nation as a leader, but also the families of those most affected as a representative of the people.  As the Commander-In-Chief, I like so many look to him in the moments following great tragedies and natural disasters that affect our country as a whole for words of comfort, explanations and plans to move forward.  It is in these times also that we want to know that our losses have not gone unnoticed.

As I sat and watched President Obama address the nation Wednesday night from the memorial service for the victim's of the Tucson shooting I was moved.  Here before me stood the President on television giving not only the names but meaningful depictions of the lives of those individuals whom were tragically lost, those whom fell victim but survived, as well as those whose acts of heroism allowed for the shooter to be caught and other lives to be spared.  He spoke of each person as if he'd known them, obvious that he'd taken the time to speak to their loved ones and saw them through the eyes of their families and friends.  He allowed us a glimpse of his own emotions as he spoke of 9 year-old Christina Taylor Green as I am sure he could see the faces of his own children in her.

During the president's speech I took great notice in the messages that he was conveying to the nation.  He asked that we honor those whom were lost; talk to one another in a healing manner and guard ourselves against simple explanations. He requested that we not use this tragedy as another reason to turn against our fellow man but rather remember what it is that holds us together.  He asked that we reflect upon ourselves as well as our lives: past, present and future.  But most importantly he challenged us as a nation to work together to make sure this country, this democracy, live up to the expectations of our children.

As I continued to listen I began to think back to the blog I'd posted just last week, The Power of A Word.  President Obama's speech at the memorial in Tucson is a wonderful example of how one person's words could make a huge impact upon the lives of many.  I also appreciated how as the leader of our country he was intelligent enough to understand the immediate responses and reactions of the everyday people to such a tragedy and addressed them. He spoke emphatically of the fallen victims but reminded us that realistically we will never be certain of what caused such a violent rampage.  Instead of encouraging sadness, anger and blame he encouraged hope, love and togetherness. He urged us to move forward into a more positive direction.

As I listened and began to really feel the words he was speaking I began to think about other presidential addresses that had been given during times of great peril and the impacts that their words may have made during that time.  How did other leaders react to national tragedies during their times in office?  Did they even give an address? As I reflected I could recall that already President Obama has spoken on three different occasions: the mining accident in West Virginia, the shooting at Fort Hood and now the shooting in Tucson.  Former President George W. Bush spoke after the tragedies of September 11, 2001 and hurricane Katrina. Former President Clinton dealt with the Oklahoma City bombing while former President Reagan witnessed the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger.  But what about all of the presidents that preceded them?  Hadn't they each faced a national tragedy during their elected terms?

So began my internet search for speeches/addresses that were given by our national leaders during times of great peril.  Immediately into my search I stumbled upon a broadcast from the PBS News hour from Wednesday night that preceded President Obama's speech on the shooting in Tucson in which there was a discussion between the news anchor and two presidential historians on this exact subject. During this broadcast they'd discussed the President's role as "Consoler-In-Chief" and to my astonishment proclaimed that these types of speeches had not before taken place prior to President Reagan's address to the nation after the loss of the space shuttle Challenger.  This I noted quickly had to be a mistake on their parts. Surely presidents whom preceded President Reagan had spoken to their countrymen and offered words of condolence and encouragement before.  The loss of the space shuttle Challenger wasn't our nation's first major loss.  What about the loss of the crew of Apollo 1, the assassination of President Kennedy, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Great Depression?  Hadn't the leaders of those times said something?

So once again I resumed my search for speeches given by presidents during times of tragedy, natural disaster, and violent acts of terrorism.  During my search I came across many transcripts of presidential addresses that occurred mostly during when they were sworn into office as well as when they'd left office.  These however always tend to be political speeches and while their words can be moving they often had no personal meaning.  Finally I began to break through and found several websites where I could read and copy down other speeches given by these leaders during hard times.  One of the first that I came across was the speech that was given by former President Bush just after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.  As I sat and read his words I remembered that horrible day.

As I read those words I felt not a sense of comfort but a sense of continued fear intermingled with anger and rage.  I can remember wondering the day that it all happened, who would dare to come onto U.S. soil and cause such harm, such tragedy, such destruction and have the audacity to think that we as Americans would just lie down and allow it to happen without attacking back. As I read these words again I began to understand the effects that they had on me and I am sure millions of others the day they were spoken.  This speech, this address was by far not one of console or positive encouragement.  These words were spoken and conveyed feelings of anger, hatred, and a desire for revenge. There were no words of sympathy for what we'd lost that day.  There were however, words that encouraged anger towards those responsible for causing such great losses.  These were words that drove us blindly into war.

As I continued my search of  these speeches I began to wonder if the words used in the address after 9/11 by President Bush had only effected me so emotionally because it was something that I myself had witnessed as it happened.  In all honesty I do believe that yes I tend to be more emotional towards it for those reasons but as I continued to research and read I found that other speeches too stirred emotions, raised questions and provoked thought within me. 

President Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech that followed the attacks on Pearl Harbor while filled with facts and a lack of personal emotion on his part made me feel as if at that time he was in total control.  In control not only of himself but of the situation, the country and how our nation would respond.  I felt that he'd calmly stood before Congress on that day and laid out the facts of what had transpired with Japan over the last 24 hour period and without asking for their permission or trying to rally others to support his decisions he calmly and flatly stated that we were at war and would defend ourselves. He clearly stated how those attacks had severely damaged the American naval and military forces but also stated matter-of-fact that no matter how long it would take, America would overcome the premeditated invasion and emerge victorious. While many of President Roosevelt's addresses were just the same, full of factual information and devoid of real emotion, I still felt a sense of ease and console within his words. Perhaps though, this is only because I feel more at ease when I know the facts.

On March 15, 1965 President Lyndon B. Johnson gave his "We Shall Overcome" speech to the nation following the civil rights crisis in Selma, Alabama.  In his (in my opinion) long winded address to the nation about civil rights, his stand points and views on civil rights, and the laws as they pertain to the American people his words conveyed to me two things:  the shame of a nation as well as the urgency to do away with national prejudice.  I felt pride in a President that was willing to take such a controversial stance in favor of the "American Negroes" during that time. I felt ashamed however, that 100 years had passed since Abraham Lincoln sought to free slaves and declare all people equal yet there was no equality at all during that time and our nation sought to suppress those because of their color. Even though I did not live through the times of the civil rights movements I can still relate to this period of time because we are still faced with many prejudices today. The words that were most compelling to me in his speech and brought forth the most feeling and though were :"These are the enemies: poverty, ignorance, disease. They are our enemies, not our fellow man, not our neighbor." For it is these three things that we continue to fight today.  I feel deeply that until we can overcome these "enemies"  only then can we rid our world and lives of the prejudice.

Finally I read President Reagan's address to the nation following the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger.  While I can vaguely remember the day this happened I still can not relate to it as well as I can to the 9/11 attacks or the Oklahoma City bombing.  Here he brought forth a sense of personal involvement when he mentioned the pain felt by both he and his wife.  He personalized the tragedy by using the names of the victims and speaking directly to the families.  He spoke of the bravery, the grace, the spirit and the daring of the crew members. He spoke to the schoolchildren of America whom were watching the live coverage and he spoke to the employees of NASA.  In his speech President Reagan expressed his continued faith in our space programs and reminded us that while we had seemed to have come so far we were still but pioneers when it came to the wonders of space exploration.  He spoke of how curiosity, pioneering and discovery were all apart of our history and while yes lives are sometimes lost they are not lost without 'cause. Most importantly President Reagan ensured in us all that while we would mourn the loss of the crew of the Challenger we would learn from this experience, we would move forward and we would honor the work and sacrifices that they made. 

There have been many other speeches throughout the history of the United States that were given by presidents and they all conveyed their own messages and feelings.  Each of them has had their own way of speaking when it comes to dealing with the issues and addressing the nation after major tragedies but ,as I hope that I have portrayed here, they do not come without consequence.  The words that are spoken have to be chosen carefully so as to appeal to the listener and arise within them feelings that the speaker wishes to convey. They have to be given, in some cases, matter of fact to ensure no misinterpretations of the intended meanings.  They have to be written well so that the speaker does not come off as a bumbling fool yet simple enough for everyone to understand. And most importantly they have to encourage a nation to move forward, to persevere and to emerge victorious.

Words as most of us know can be very tricky and when used correctly can have huge effects. It is how we use those words that sets us apart from those around us. Remember it is easy to encourage, console and praise those that we know, however it is a far tougher task to do it for millions that we don't.  It is also easy to express anger, discouragement, and suppress others even when we ourselves know how much it can truly hurt. So as President Obama said on Wednesday night " it is important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds."


Should you wish to read any of the transcripts from the speeches mentioned in this article/blog or other famous speeches in our history you may do so at http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/previous.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment